Thursday, February 12, 2009

Patience Rewarded

According to About.com, the tradition of giving a specific gift on a specific anniversary dates back to the Middle Ages. When John and I were first married, we decided to follow the "traditional" wedding anniversary gift options rather than the "modern". It has been a little more difficult but a lot more interesting selecting gifts. For example, for the seventh year anniversary (our last celebration) the modern material is brass. The traditional material is copper or wool. I got John an old Afghani tea table trimmed in copper. At least that's what the guy in the antique/thrift store in downtown Vienna told me.

I've been on a quality over quantity kick regarding clothes for a while. I got rid of many, many clothes and shoes during our overseas moves. It didn't make sense to move things that I hadn't worn in a while and probably never would. Some of the last things I donated were my "work" clothes. Even though I very willingly "retired" from corporate life when we moved to Macedonia in '04, it was actually really hard to get my head around the fact that I would not need those clothes again. I finally decided that even if I did go back into the corporate world at some point, the clothes I had wouldn't be stylish or wouldn't fit, or both! If you are in closet cleaning mode, keep this in mind.

Anyhoo, back to patience being rewarded, anniversary gifts, etc. I had mentioned to John that I would like a really nice, black cashmere sweater for our seventh anniversary. You know, wool. We agreed that it would be best for me to pick it out. Although I'm not a regular (or even occasional) Neiman Marcus shopper, I figured they would have what I had in mind. I found a "superfine" cashmere sweater with a simple scoop neck. I bought it online while it was on backorder.

Yes, I bought my own anniversary gift. John and I save the romance for non-shopping-related activities. This was back in October, the month of our anniversary. I had second thoughts because it was quite expensive so I canceled the order. But by then I was on the N-M email list which I usually delete on sight. However, I sat up straight when I saw their latest subject line: 70% Off and Free Shipping, Today Only! Oh my, surely that gorgeous cashmere sweater wouldn't be included in the sale. But would I be writing a post called Patience Rewarded if it wasn't? I think not. My 70% off, "superfine" cashmere sweater that I will be wearing when I'm 70 is on its free-shipping way.

Thanks babe. I love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on girl! How much?!?

Anonymous said...

Both my girls are thrifty and love to find a bargain! Did they get that from me?