Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Kitchen Utensil Mania

Some time ago while perusing the website portion of the Oprah-Industrial-Complex, I came across the Peter Walsh "Peter's Clutter Crew" monthly project, er, project! Walsh is the organizing guru who wrote the books "It's All Too Much" and "Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?".

Of course I immediately signed up for the monthly project assignments to be delivered via email. I received my email the other day and this month's project is the kitchen and the dining room. He had a video clip about decluttering the dreaded kitchen utensil drawer. Or in my case, and probably yours, make that a plural drawers!

Here is Peter's suggestion:

Try the cardboard box test. See what utensils you're really using. Take all the utensils out of your drawers and put them in a cardboard box. For the next month, whenever you use one of these utensils, put it back in the drawer. If after four weeks it's still in the box, you don't need it.

I will be posting a video clip later on today of myself dutifully doing this part of completing my February assignment. I know Mimi and her friend Lili (they are always looking for an art or craft project -- this qualifies as such, right?!) will enjoying "helping" me so I will do the utensil dump after school.

John's response this morning when I excitedly shared the details of this project was, "Hmmm. Interesting.". While he enjoys the fruits of my organizing skills (most of the time without even realizing it), I think that he is still somewhat puzzled by my exhuberance about organizing!

On a Life and Love note, it was really cute this morning watching John and Mimi do ABC Kid yoga together. I attended a NAPO-WDC meeting last night in Bethesda. When I got home John was already in bed (still a bit jet lagged from his trip) but he told me this morning that Mimi wanted him to get her up early this morning so they would have time to do yoga together before school. She was also enthusiastically sharing her plans with him to organize her snow globes and books in her room! That's my girl!

1 comment:

KristieB said...

But I just KNOW I'll need that lemon zester in 6 months! And I really like having 4 spatulas that are exactly the same but different colors, okay? Love the blog and this post is great. Keep them coming!