Sunday, February 8, 2009

Glimpse into our future...

So Mimi's school had a fundraiser Friday night called "Hollywood". Not too much info came home about this but from what we could gather it was a chance for the kids to dress up and dance to a DJ in the Hollywood-themed cafeteria.

As parents of a kindergartener and therefore first timers at this event, we weren't quite sure what to expect. Mimi wanted to dress up as (big surprise) a princess. She put on her favorite purple dress-up dress with lots of taffeta, all of her necklaces (mostly Mardi Gras beads, very colorful!), all of her bracelets, some lacy gloves and her pink sparkly shoes. Oh, and her pointy pink princess hat and a white "cape".

We walked in the door of the school and didn't really see any "costumes" that we recognized. I think we are just out of the loop on what the 'tweeners are into these days. I think we saw lots of Hannah Montanas and High School Musical "characters" but we're really not quite sure. Mimi got uncharacteristically quiet while we were waiting in line to pay -- I think she was a little puzzled at the apparent lack of costumes.

She really brightened up when she saw a friend from Daisies (that's the kindergarten version of Brownies/Girl Scouts) also dressed up as a princess. Then her friend Helen came in as a beautiful princess. That was all it took! The three little girls had a great time admiring each others' dresses and gawking at all the big kids running around like wild animals.

John picked Mimi up and took her out on the dance floor and I was kicking myself that I didn't have my camera. There they were dancing cheek-to-cheek, Mimi's pointy princess hat askew, smack in the middle of a pack of hyper 10 and 11 year old girls bouncing straight up in the air to an unfamiliar song.

My heart caught in my throat as I watched them knowing that these delicious opportunities wouldn't really last much longer. In a few years she will be one of those 10 year old girls who doesn't have the slightest interest in dancing with Daddy. Sigh.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have this most vivid picture of John and Mimi in my mind! What a sweet moment.