Friday, February 27, 2009

I need to keep this for how long?!

It's tax time and that gets many people wondering just how long they need to keep important documents. I think a lot of people keep documents unnecessarily out of fear of needing them at some point in the future.

One of the NAPO-WDC chapter newsletters last year had a fantastic one page document that outlines not only how long you should keep certain documents but also the ideal place to store them and to whom copies should go.

On a related note (which you will figure out in just a minute), I recently drank the Kool-Aid and bought an iPhone. I have to say that I love, love, love it!

Part of the whole Mac-package is something called iDisk. In a nutshell, I can store documents "out there" in a public folder and direct people to it. Which is what I'm going to do right now!

Click on the link below and you will be taken to my public folder. You will see the heading "Bluebonnet Professional Organizing". Just click on the little arrow to the left of the heading and you will see two documents that you can download and print out. One is the paper Retention Schedule. Another helpful tax-time document is also there -- the Goodwill Donation Value Guide. It helps you to figure out how much to value those items you have donated throughout the year, regardless of where you donated them.

http://public.me.com/laurimennel

(I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this magical iDisk actually works and that you will be able to access these documents easily!)

Happy filing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worked like a charm and great stuff!

Heidi Adams said...

Omigosh--I have been looking for exactly these documents. Thanks so much!